Monday, May 5, 2014

Pioneer Chicken, An Old-School Eatery

I recall back when I was a wee lil' toddler back in 1980s' South Central Los Angeles, walking with my mother from 74th Street to Vermont & Florence to eat at a place called Pioneer Chicken.  She had gotten us some food to scarf down while we were inside.  I'll never forget biting into the chicken (I think it was a drumstick, but I don't remember as I prefer breasts and wings now) and chewing in delight, but what really had me sold was their spicy rice.  It was that damn good.  That is, until...

Sadly, that location was demolished over the years and the space was converted to a parking lot, mostly used by Super Buy customers (whoever remembers this grocery store wins some interwebs).  But alas, 'twas just a page from my book of childhood memories.  I had thought to believe that Pioneer Chicken had gone extinct.

Let's just say it's good to be wrong sometimes.

There were three locations left, to my knowledge.  I had visited one in Hollywood before it was converted to a Del Taco (*cries and blows nose*).  All was lost...not.

Much as I travel by bus and train (though I have a love/hate relationship with Metro), I was surprised, albeit elated to find a Pioneer Chicken joint on Olympic & Fairfax.  For proof...

See?  Pioneer Chicken is not extinct!


A little expensive, but worth the anorexic wallet.

Maybe as soon as I finish with this post, I think I'll jump on the Expo Line and catch the 217 down there so I can shove some chicken and fries down my throat.

Oh, and comments!  Please leave 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment