Wednesday, October 9, 2013

No More Heat Waves/Respecting The Craft

Well I can finally breathe a sigh of relief...for the time being.  We got a taste of Indian Summer here in Los Angeles, and lately it's been a drag for business.  In a nutshell, I couldn't push my hats out there because of the heat, weather-friendly or otherwise.  Though I may be a Summer baby, I'm not used to temperatures being hotter than fish grease.  That results in me showing up late to Leimert Park to sell anything (anybody out there who knows about CP Time understands what I mean) almost unsuccessfully.  That in itself is a profit killer.

Though I love to crochet (as it keeps me from blowing a fuse), we crafters gotta pay bills, too.  We have to pay for materials such as hooks, yarn, and other bits and pieces needed to make some stuff.  We even have to pay dues on sites like ArtFire and Etsy just for daily operations to keep the online business running.  And that can drain our pockets just as fast as draining hot water from a bathtub.

That brings us to another discussion (hence the double title).  Let me spell this out in bold print so that our future customers can take a hint.

RESPECT THE CRAFT!
 
Read it exactly how I typed it.  There are crocheters out there who bust their butts (and ash up their fingers) for hours making whatever their niche product is.  For instance, my specialty is hats.  Certain hats might take me forty-five minutes at best, while others take me a few hours.  What some people fail to realize why crafters charge a specific price for their crocheted pieces is that they should take in the cost of time, overhead, and supplies.  I and countless others (whom I'm sure most crafters have encountered) have come across customers who would try to nickel-and-dime their way out of paying full price for a hat, shawl, or whatever.  Put it this way--it ain't gonna fly.  Cheating a crafter out of the original price for a handmade piece is on the same level as calling somebody's mother a bitch--most likely guaranteed to receive a dirty look or even a tongue lashing.
 
So just remember those three words in bold, underlined print in case you find yourself wanting to purchase something hand-crafted either for you or as a gift to a friend.  These words are indication enough that there are people out there (much like myself) who take crocheting very seriously.  However, if you are one to bargain for something handmade for a cheap, tacky price, then consider getting something made from a knitting machine in a factory.
 
Well, that closes this chapter for tonight...



No comments:

Post a Comment