Sunday, June 18, 2023

Juneteenth 2023 at Leimert Park - Day 1

Yesterday was the kickoff to our yearly Juneteenth festival in Leimert Park.  As you can see from the photos, everything was rather mellow; there was a decent-sized crowd, but Saturday was more of a warm-up.

Degnan Boulevard, a Leimert Park staple

The only sucky part about yesterday was that I didn't have the cash to buy lunch from the Shabazz tent.  At the same time, it's probably a good thing because I don't need to be eating a bunch of fried food anyway; I had a nasty 3-week bout with gastritis from Kwanzaa 2021 to mid-January 2022, so I'm trying to lay low on anything fried.  But one day I'll have some Shabazz after all these years, maybe during the Taste Of Soul festival.

Shabazz Good Foods

I mostly spent my time in the park working on a custom order and chatting it up with some longtime friends, then left to go buy groceries for dinner on a tiny budget.  When you can't always eat what you want, then a struggle meal will make for some of the best comfort food.

A Beautiful Sista taking the stage

Well, this is the part where I throw in that infamous "to be continued" line, because today's the second day of the Juneteenth festival.  And because it's Sunday, considering that it's in Leimert Park, the event is going to be much livelier than yesterday.  While I'm at it, let me praise TMH for allowing me to wake up this fine morning to experience something as wonderful as celebrating my ancestors.

Γ€se πŸ™πŸΎπŸ‘‘❤️πŸ–€πŸ’š

No comments:

Post a Comment